Volusia County Schools to vote on funding for more SROs on middle school campuses

Volusia County Faculties leaders might approve utilizing greater than a half-million {dollars} to pay for additional deputies at colleges.

Faculty board members will meet Tuesday afternoon in DeLand.

District leaders stated the necessity comes after an increase in requires service at center colleges between August and October of this 12 months.

READ: Florida Division of Schooling releases faculty grades in new system

The fee to rent seven faculty useful resource officers and a supervising sergeant would whole $507,000 and would come instantly from the district’s price range.

Faculty useful resource officers could be added particularly to center colleges.

The present funding settlement between Volusia County Faculties and the Volusia Sheriff’s Workplace stipulates a 55% contribution from the faculties, with the Sheriff’s Workplace masking the remaining 45%.

READ: Boyfriend is individual of curiosity in suspicious loss of life of Marion County woman, deputies say

The Volusia County Council denied the preliminary request in November, arguing that it wouldn’t be truthful to burden taxpayers in cities the place police departments already present the service.

Tuesday’s assembly begins at 4:30 p.m. at Volusia County Faculties headquarters, situated at 200 N Clara Ave in DeLand.

Click on right here to obtain our free information, climate and sensible TV apps. And click on right here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness Information reside.

Check Also

Airman dies while deployed to Andersen Air Force Base

A senior airman assigned to the thirty eighth Rescue Squadron died throughout a deployment to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *