10 observations: Blackhawks hand Vegas first loss with comeback win in time beyond regulation initially appeared on NBC Sports activities Chicago
The Chicago Blackhawks overcame a 2-0 deficit to beat the Vegas Golden Knights 4-3 in time beyond regulation on Friday at T-Cellular Area.
Listed below are 10 observations from the win:
1. Blackhawks head coach Luke Richardson put his staff by way of an intense observe on Thursday after being sad about Tuesday’s 3-0 loss to Boston. General, the Blackhawks responded with a considerably higher effort regardless of the gradual begin out of the gates.
2. The Blackhawks didn’t have a single energy play in regulation; they lastly received one in time beyond regulation when Connor Bedard was tripped, which wasn’t a lot, and so they capitalized on it because of Philipp Kurashev, who scored his first purpose of the season.
By the way in which, the Blackhawks have been additionally on the penalty kill 4 occasions, which included twice within the second half of the third interval. An enormous 4-for-4 night time in that division.
3. Bedard’s line with Nick Foligno and Kurashev was Chicago’s most noticeable. The three of them generated 10 scoring possibilities after they have been on the ice collectively at even power, in accordance with Pure Stat Trick. That was simply Foligno’s finest sport with the Blackhawks up to now. He was dialed in.
4. Ryan Donato and Bedard tied the sport up after scoring inside 1:19 of one another later within the first interval. Bedard scored his third purpose of the season — his second in opposition to Vegas — however what an effort by Foligno to get him the puck. Bedard pointed to him proper after scoring and yelled: “Good [expletive] move.” Certainly, it was. And this time, the purpose wasn’t taken away from him.
5. The Golden Knights got here out flying. They scored two objectives within the first 4 minutes of the sport and really a lot regarded just like the a part of a what was an undefeated defending Stanley Cup champion staff. It regarded like issues have been going to get out of hand. However that wasn’t the case.
6. The Blackhawks broke their goaltending rotation for the primary time this season by giving Petr Mrazek a second consecutive begin; Arvid Söderblom performed in opposition to Vegas on Saturday, in order that they in all probability wished to offer a distinct look. After giving up objectives on consecutive photographs to open the sport, Mrazek stopped the following 15 photographs he confronted earlier than permitting one other. Stable bounce-back.
7. Alex Vlasic left the sport within the second interval and didn’t return after taking a excessive hit from Golden Knights ahead Brett Howden. Vlasic regarded a bit disoriented after the hit and wanted a couple of seconds to gather himself.
I did not see any head contact, however Richardson was seen yelling to the official about it being a possible blindside hit. It is laborious to disagree with him. The Blackhawks are clearly delicate to that hit as a result of it is what knocked out Taylor Corridor, who’s on injured reserve with a shoulder harm.
8. Jason Dickinson was bumped as much as the second line to play with Taylor Raddysh and Lukas Reichel, and the three of them had a powerful sport. Reichel, most notably, had a good night time on the faceoff circle, too. He gained 5 of his first seven attracts earlier than shedding his remaining two.
9. Within the first assembly in opposition to Vegas, the Blackhawks had 18 giveaways. They’d solely 4 on this sport. Puck administration was a lot better. The Golden Knights had 14 giveaways.
10. Andreas Athanasiou was a wholesome scratch for the primary time since being a Blackhawk. I used to be a bit stunned to see that, particularly for an offensively-starved staff, but when nothing else, I do not thoughts the message it sends within the locker room. It should definitely get everybody’s consideration.
Click on right here to comply with the Blackhawks Speak Podcast.