Sunday’s recreation was all the time going to be a tricky problem for the Jets, who have been with out three of their high 4 cornerbacks, together with starters DJ Reed and Sauce Gardner. Nevertheless, their protection pressured 4 turnovers and a late Breece Corridor landing gave them an enormous upset win over the beforehand undefeated Eagles.
Philadelphia’s first possession was deflating. The Jets created stress and made a number of good performs however didn’t get off the sphere on third down, which appeared like an ominous signal for his or her overmatched secondary. Jalen Hurts gave the Eagles the lead with a controversial landing run to cap a 19-play, 90-yard drive. The Jets initially seemed to have made a fourth-down cease, however the replay sales space reversed the decision.
Having pulled inside 7-3, the Jets bought the ball again on a Quinnen Williams interception, however they didn’t convert on fourth down after which poor tackling on the subsequent drive allowed the Eagles to march down and take a 14-3 lead on D’Andre Swift’s landing catch.
To their credit score, the Jets (3-3) battled again to scale back the deficit to 14-9 by halftime and 14-12 by the top of the third quarter. With the Eagles (5-1) one first down away from operating the clock out, Tony Adams intercepted Hurts for the Jets’ fourth takeaway of the sport and returned the ball inside the ten. Corridor’s landing run gave the Jets a late 20-14 lead and the Eagles turned the ball over on downs to safe the Jets’ first-ever win over the Eagles.
Listed below are the important thing takeaways…
– As soon as once more, the Jets needed to punt following their opening drive — as they’ve in every of their six video games this yr. A minimum of they picked up a primary down this time, albeit on a defensive penalty — that was the primary time they’ve picked up a primary down on their opening drive since Corridor ran for a primary down just a few performs earlier than Aaron Rodgers’ harm.
– With all of the absences within the secondary, the Jets consistently rotated personnel with Ashtyn Davis, Craig James and Tae Hayes all getting further reps and Michael Carter II typically employed on the surface. Hayes had solely signed to the follow squad final week, however this patchwork group held up effectively — particularly after halftime.
– As was the case within the Payments and Chiefs matchups, it was turnovers that stored the Jets within the recreation with Quinnen Williams intercepting a cross and Quincy Williams recovering a fumble within the first half. Jermaine Johnson and CJ Mosley knocked the ball free to create these turnovers. On Bryce Corridor’s fourth-quarter interception, Johnson once more helped pressure it by hitting Hurts’ arm as he launched the throw.
– Aided by the truth that professional bowl deal with Lane Johnson left the sport with an harm, the Jets generated good stress on Hurts however struggled to complete, enabling him to increase performs and scramble for yardage. The Jets additionally broken their probabilities with penalties and missed tackles, however as soon as once more appeared to calm down within the second half. They ended up with two sacks to associate with the 4 turnovers.
– After a career-high 177 dashing yards final week, Corridor had simply six yards on 4 carries within the first half, though he did make a 25-yard catch on a dump-off. He had a greater second half with 58 yards on 9 touches and the successful rating.
– The Jets have been driving within the third quarter, probably about to take the lead when a private foul for an Allen Lazard blindside block negated a giant cross to Garrett Wilson into the purple zone and pushed the Jets out of field-goal vary. Lazard compounded the error with a drop on the subsequent snap however then redeemed himself considerably with a clutch third-down catch on the subsequent drive.
– The Jets’ red-zone offense continues to be a difficulty, as they went 0-for-3 till Corridor’s landing, the place the Eagles gave the impression to be intentionally permitting them to attain in order that that they had time remaining for a possible comeback. Zach Wilson had taken a nasty sack on second down that pressured the Jets to accept a area purpose down by 5 late within the third quarter.
– The Eagles’ ultimate possession noticed Jordan Whitehead come up large with a few cross breakups, together with on a fourth-down bomb to ice the win.
The Jets enter the bye week with their subsequent recreation at Metlife Stadium towards the Giants on Oct. 29 at 1 p.m.